What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Makeup Essentials and What is BB Cream?

I'm on a roll with the blogging! After uni ended and all that I find myself incredibly bored. I can't work because I have to wait until after I come back from my trip first so I am left with not much to do. I actually picked up Harry Potter after erm...several months or a year of not reading it; I have a habit of reading and re-reading my favourite books.

On a superficial note, I keep an Excel record of all the beauty products I buy and rate them. It keeps me in check so I know how much I am spending and on what you see. Right now I am just focusing on the absolute basics. I don't think anyone will be interested, least of all Kebu and Butterfly but I'm going to blog about it anyway whether you like it or not!!

In the past 2 years I have spent $1200 on makeup and skin products. Aish. It seems like a lot doesn't it? It actually isn't considering makeup in Australia is bloody expensive so each product averages about $30. Blush and foundation go up to $50. I have also included a perfume purchase, which was $80 (on sale too).

So it's not too bad...right?! It's been 2 years! It was started around the time of my first foundation (MAC) for Year 12 Formal.

*attempts to justify herself*

I currently own 8 lipsticks, 1 of which I transferred to a pot. I actually only ever use about 3 of them though. These would be MAC Viva Glam 5, a pinkish brown with shimmer, MAC Jubilee, brown with hints of apricot and MAC Slimshine in Gaily which is a light red. Other ones seem too formal to wear daily and I can't wait to bust out my beautiful coral-pink lipstick, MAC Crosswires!

I am trial-and-erroring all my products to find the perfect pink, neutral and red shade. Once I've found it I won't ever need that many lipstick again. If anyone would like to experiment with some of my colours feel free to ask me >_>

I think everyone should have at least 1 lipstick or lipgloss for everyday wear. I would go so far as say 2 lipsticks and 2 lipglosses, day and night wear.

Side note, I need a sensible clubbing partner! Sensible because I abhor the behaviour of drunken ladettes and idiotic men. I wish for more excuses to dress up (read: overdress!).

My lipgloss collection includes 6, 5 from MAC and the single one from Dior. Everyday use includes the Dior (Addict, 227) and MAC Love Nectar which is the most gorgeous pale pink with gold shimmer. I only use it on special days :)

I won't share my lipgloss however, purely because I cannot clean the wand and I wouldn't want to contaminate anyone.

So far, I think you can find some decent lipsticks for less than what MAC charges ($35 each). However in terms of the range of options you get, you can't beat MAC.

In comparing Dior Addict and MAC Lustreglasses, Dior beats it because of texture. It is not sticky whereas MAC is. But once again, you can't beat MAC for colour range.

I recently acquired a limited edition MAC Eversun, which is a brown-peach blush/bronzer. This has been used much more than my Clinique blush, a pretty pink that even my mother approved of. I try to alternate, warm in colder weather and cool on sunny days.

Now, for foundation I have MAC SatinFinish, a mineral liquid foundation which is the same one I used for my Formal. Little did I know that the colour match was off - too dark. I looked so horrible in the Formal pictures. Instead I use BB cream.

The one I am using was given to me by a family friend who brought it back from Korea. It is a bit paler for me, but it works out because I can use up my MAC by mixing it together to form the perfect shade. By the way, I rarely ever use it because of all the work involved -_- If anyone is wondering, the BB cream I use is Skin 79 Super Beblesh Balm, gold bottle.

What is BB cream?

I do realise that the BB cream craze started last year. As I have told Reila when she asked me for a foundation recommendation, it is face primer, foundation and concealer in one - so it claims. It was developed in Korea from a prescription product that was meant to heal the skin of surgical patients. It was then reformed into a cosmetic product for public use that has healing properties as well as minimising the use of multiple products and letting the skin breathe while still looking pretty. Or you can look up BB cream on wiki :D

It was just budding in the makeup blogosphere where I was given this bottle. I've used it many times now and I much prefer it over foundation because of coverage as well as the way it makes my skin feel. Firstly, it doesn't feel like I have makeup on. Secondly, you can barely feel it with your fingers. This is important to me because foundation always seems to feel sticky, even when I've setted it with silica powder.

This product works really well, for now. I do wish that they had more shades rather than one-fits-all.

BB cream is only available at Missha in Australia. For people who are interested in other brands for really good prices, please check out eBay and Google reviews.


To break it down for everyone roughly (I mix and match all the time):

Daily
MAC Viva Glam V
MAC Eversun blush
Curl lashes with Shiseido eyelash curler

When I have time in the morning
Maybelline Full N' Soft
Shiseido eyelash curler
Clinique Precious Posey blush
MAC Jubilee

Going out
Skin 79 + MAC SF NC35
MAC Engraved eyeliner
Curl + mascara
MAC Soft and Gentle to highlight cheekbones
MAC Cork eyeshadow used as contour
MAC Love Nectar


Is this really much? I don't find it too materialistic, especially not considering how rarely I go all out. 80% of days at uni I wear nothing, not even on my lips except Vaseline or papaw ointment.

If nobody minds too much I will start using the blog to demonstrate my journalistic skills in a superficial way. Think Carrie Bradshaw. I perfectly know what you mean by "Carrie Bradshaw is a poor reflection of journalism". Still, hopefully you will find some insightful musings on this blog courtesy of Serena.

4 comments:

Midori said...

omg you have so much lipstick/lipgloss!!

I usually only have 2 in my bag, a balm/very slight pink lipstick and a lipgloss.

I'm so tempted now to write an entry on what i use lol.

Uni for me i use nothing =\ just my glue.

Anna said...

wow $1200 -___-
I've only spent about $200 on makeup,, and all Japanese branded ones too, like shiseido, kanebo, etc. I find asian make up easier to apply haha. On the topic of BB cream though, i'm a fan!
I've used the skinfood aloe one, it was pretty good, but not good at oil control. I used it for about a year until it started leaking water, so i changed brands. Atm, i'm using Dr Jart's black label BB cream, and it is the BEST!!!! It's got better reviews than other BB cream on the net, and probably one of the best BB cream out there. I definitely recommend it :)

Serena said...

$1200 over about 2 years isn't that abd is it?

I've read heaps of reviews on Dr. Jart which seems to be the best BBc ream out there, but that might be for oilier skin types. Currently the one I'm using it good but I am open to trying new things. I might get Dr. jart next :)

Kevin said...

I couldn't help but think "bareback" cream...