What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Monday, November 2, 2009

"Healthy" Icecream and Cold Mori Soba

Just a couple of fast food I made recently. Last night just before bed I had a large bowl of vanilla and toffee icecream with berries which I happily ate in bed, all clean and nicely showered, while reading Harry Potter from the beginning.


2 scoops vanilla extra creamy icecream (I used Bulla Real Dairy Icecream)
1 scoop Bulla Creamy Classics Caramel Toffee Crunch
3 large strawberries
Small handful of fresh blueberries

1. Scoop the icecream into a big bowl and put back into freezer so it doesn't melt.

2. Rinse all the fruit. Slice strawberries and wipe off excess moisture from blueberries.

3. Have fun sprinkling over the icecream with a very satisfied and proud smile.


I really just felt like eating the berries but wasn't in the mood for cereal, so I went for icecream. I am still on my diet mind you, so those scoops of icecream were small. Next time, I shall stick with just plain vanilla icecream. The toffee, while delicious, overpowered the light taste of the blueberries and the intense sweetness made the strawberries more sour than they were.





For lunch the next day (today) - no actually, it was a very late lunch because by the time I was eating it, it was nearly 4pm. I made cold mori soba noodles inspired by The Little Teochew, but made lazy my way.


Half bunch of buckwheat noodles

For the dipping sauce/tsuyu:
80ml soy sauce
80ml mirin*
1 tsp dashi stock granules (optional, I had them on hand)
1 egg

1. Boil some water in a kettle and transfer to the stove. Bring back to boil and add the buckwheat noodles. Cook for 5 minutes.

2. Immediatedly wash noodles in cold water. Add some ice cubes and leave it to turn cold.

3. Mix soy sauce, mirin (substitute rice wine vinegar, water and fine sugar), dashi stock and 1 raw egg. Beat gently and you can serve it with noodles immediately.



*The soy sauce I used was extremely salty, so I balanced it out with more mirin.

Ideally, I would prefer a dash of sesame oil and some sesame seeds and chopped dried seaweed but I was really hungry and just wanted to eat. I love the taste of raw egg and soy sauce, but if that's not to your liking you don't have to use it.

The dashi stock really brings out the Japanese taste. Without it, it just tasted like sweet, watery soy sauce to me. The slight fishy (a.k.a. umami) taste of the dashi made it lovely, balanced with a tinge of raw egg, creaminess. Aha, I am so good with the descriptors. I believe a dab of wasabi would work just as well in giving the tsuyu more personality.

It was quite a hot day and this dish was just...just...so good. I am actually off to make more now so I can take photos!



With leftover tsuyu for the second round.











Look at this strange olive oil bottle I have. So small for $13!




P.S. I hope all those links were helpful, especially to someone who has no idea what I'm talking about *stares at B*. There, now you know!

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Looking at pottery makes me think of Trojans and Minoans.

I don't want to be hungry... Want to skip dinner... T_T

Serena said...

Wtf, Ancient History was so ages ago xD

I had a midnight snack consisting of 2 slices of wholemeal sourdough, some chicken and a squidge of Kewpie mayonnaise, a few Ritz crackers, Earl Grey tea and a few Sakata. Omg, FAT!

Kevin said...

I had a 3am snack of fresh noodles and left over Sichuan hotpot broth lolol. Breakfast was fried tomato rice and chicken. Lunch was bun bo la lot. I have not have dinner.

Anna said...

I'm interested in that buckwheat noodle recipe, however i'm not too keen on dipping things onto soy sauce because it can darken my acne scars ><
Can i just dip it in raw egg? haha i love dipping beef in raw egg during hotpot.

Serena said...

I've heard of the soy darkening your skin thing but I don't know whether that's proven or an old wives tale.

I'm pretty sure you can do whatever you like with it although one problem is that the noodles are COLD and beef is nice and hot. Cold might not go as well with raw egg alone. Try using the mirin with maybe some wasabi and miso; you need something salty to aubstitute the soy sauce. But whatever you like to eat put it in.

Kevin said...

Of course it's an old wive's tale. It doesn't make sense at all. It's like how old Canto ladies say that eating red things is good for your blood. All BS.

And it's not that much soy sauce anyway... < < Mostly dashi.