What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Friday, January 16, 2009

Long Overdue Photos from China

Okay so this is REALLY long overdue and I have just sorted through over 1000 photos to bring you these 30.

So THIS is why my total luggage was about 40kg...



Click Click!!



My wonderful cousins =)


My supposedly look a like cousin =)

She's so awesome, once we just talked in bed till 5am in the morning; got about an hour sleep.

Where I lived the Majority of the time:


Red Light District!!!

Nah I'm kidding


Lived at this apartment building which just finished building hence the veges outside and the dirt and stuff.

My auntie's very pretty apartment with pretty chandelier! =)



My Cousin's room. He moved to sleep with my grandma or his mum while I was there.



Now I know I've always said the place where I live is a very small county. Here's most of the city. The place is surrounded on all sides by mountains!!


We have a tiny house in the countryside that's tucked away next to roads and stuff so here's just one photo of this tiny village. I'm standing on the roof where I spent a lot of time playing as a kid.


I spent a lot of my holiday staying in the little county but made a trip to Xiamen to visit some other uncles and aunties and cousins and a trip to Fu Zhou the capital of the state I was living in to visit my great aunt whose a great cook!

Being a small county I didn't have much to do especially when my cousin had to go work or some to school.

So I just went to the beautiful rooftop at the apartment to camwhore!



Or stupidly listen to what my cousin tells me to pose as -.-

He goes if I do that I'll look like a monkey... -.- (wee love my military jacket =) )


Big BIG woks and steamers but very yummy food!

Some more scenery!

Ain't this place pretty? A lot of people were taking wedding photos here in sleeveless dresses in the middle of winter... damn cold..

A beauty to be seen everywhere where I lived was the mountains. On top of most of them were temples but this place was newly 'renovated' to have wooden footbridges and paths and stone steps showing the magnificent scenery!

Okay now you're all probably really sick of all the natural beauty of China so now we're going to.......


BEIJING!!!

"And the weather in Beijing today is -10 degrees Celcius..."

My photos are in backwards order of where I went first and last... I'll just show you guys the major attractions.

Birds Nest Christmas Tree!


BIG Christmas tree next to Bird's nest. NOTE: tree is NOT bigger than birds nest....

The Water Cube AKA The Beijing National Aquatics Centre


Birds Nest



If you guys want an idea of how cold it is. Fucken 9am in the morning here. This water is partially frozen. It froze while gushing out of the pipe....


I don't care that I'm scared of the cold... I'm not gonna pretend it's not cold when it's FREEZING!!!!!!! So me and my cousin covered up REAL well...

scarf: check; beanie: check; face mask: check; 5 layers of tops: check; 3 layers of pants: check; fogged up glasses; check; raw cheeks; check.

Th Great Wall of China at barely 9am in the morning... Hence not many people.



Freshly fallen snow in Tian Jin!!!!



Pretty snow that has fallen at Memorial to Zhou Enlai and Deng Yingchao


The Old Summar Palace: Yuan Ming Yuan

The lake was frozen over but after me and my cousin both stepped on it we heard a loud crack... hence the really constipated posture cuz I was scared to death of falling into the icy water before the quick photo....

Although this place is known as a symbol of foreign aggression and humiliation since british and french troops destroyed it in 1860 (wiki) it's so beautiful....

White stuff is ALL ice.

Forbidden City: Gu Gong


Tianmen Square:
Tiananmen



The Great Hall of the People: Ren Min Da Hui Tang


Didn't actually get to go in cuz there was a big meeting inside

Mausoleum of Mao Zedong: Mao Zhe Dong Ji Nian Tang

For your information we lined up for an hour (would be much longer in summer), right when it opened, went through security checks, couldn't bring our bags or cameras in and looked at Mao from about 3m away for about 10sec as we weren't even allowed to stop and look. But at least it was free with ID.

Temple of Heaven

Breathtakingly beautiful.

Here's something I won't miss from China: Toilet system.

I don't know if you guys have ever seen these. This is actually quite an unused clean version. It's a squatting toilet but with no doors and no flush. Basically a canal straight through the middle so everyone else can see your business especially if there's 3-4 in a row and it's slanted a bit. This is a clean tame version.. those ones at petrol stations are HORROR.



PS if you're all wondering why I wore the SAME thing every day at Beijing it's cuz it was too fucken cold that I didn't even have a warm enough coat to change into and besides my logic is cold=no sweat=no need. >.>

Also didn't shower for those 5 days cuz the accommodation was so shit it scared me... and we kept losing power.. and I didn't want to be stuck in the bathroom with no power, cold water and a hole in the wall, cigarette butt on the floor and dirty stained floors....

I showered immediately when we got to a clean hotel...

4 comments:

Serena said...

Omg sounds like a horror movie. I'd feel so shitty if I don't shower for more than 2 days!!

Teehee I wore the same jacket in Korea and got fed up so bought a nice fashionable one and suffered through cold weather T_T

Beauty over life! <- motto in Korea

ButterflyCoffin said...

olcd = best typo of 'cold' I've seen so far.

My Beijing hotel had a hole in the wall too! =D

Beijing is really cold in winter...

The snow looks pretty and fun to play in >w<

The Forbidden City is pretty~
Tiananmen was boring...
The Old Summer Palace was really cool~
The Great Wall is fun!
Your home County looks so peaceful and rustic >w<
Ahh, it seems like such a wonderful place to return to, I'm jealous~

Serena said...

When I went to Beijing it was only Autumn so not very cold at all! The Summer Palace was really pretty and everything since it looked kinda Spring-ish and not dead.

I WENT TO ONE OF THOSE HIDEOUS TOILETS! I was busting :( Anyway I was only a kid then.

Anonymous said...

Excuse my language but those toilets (do they even meet the definitions of toilet?) are FUCKING disgusting!!! I went to one like 2 years ago at a zoo in China and there were about 10 of those walls, so about 20 of them spaces for you to squat at in that room. You're unlucky if you get the end one cos that's where the shit and fucking disgusting piss floats to and accumulates. They only clean it at the end of the day and omg, the one in your photo at least looks a bit cleaannnn. scarred for life, and i didn't do my business at the zoo in case you're going to ask me, i think even if i was busting, it wouldn't come out cos i was a tad traumatised.