What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Cheese and Chocolate Connoisseur

*I do not claim to be an expert. I'm just documenting my thoughts on a personal blog.

Giving feedback on the food I've been trying for a few months now and I have come back with a few opinions of my own.

Out of the many cheeses I have tried, I currently like all of them.

Okay, biased account.

Of the normal everyday cheeses used at home, parmesan (fresh grated or packaged aged) beats the lot. Not only does it have the strongest, tangy sharp cheese taste, it also goes on anything to give food life.

Next on the list is tasty cheddar, with a thicker, creamier and milkier taste. Personally I don't like mozzarella, and if I had it my way I'd use cheddar or swiss cheese on all pizzas.

Cream cheeses, ick. Will not go into those. Not a fan, really. They aren't so bad.

Feta is a white, often cubed cheese that is easily spread with some force but you're supposed to eat it as is or cut up. Feta is mild in its 'cheese' smell, but extremely milky and a bit salty. Feta is supposely low fat, at least, the ones I have eaten all seem to be. Feta is the white stuff in Greek salad.

Everyone knows Kraft 'plastic' cheese, right? And then there's Laughing Cow cream cheese that is much stronger, extremely thick and fatty.


Exotic cheeses are limited and I have no tried all of them, but one day I will.

Bocconcini is one of my favourites because you can savour cheese all on its own without feeling fat and guilty. Bocconcini are stark white balls of cheese that are very stringy on the inside (like Bega Stringers!) but with a very very mild taste. It's very refreshing and yummy. They are also fun to eat because you can either peel them or squish them! From the name, you can gather that this is an Italian cheese.

I have tried Australian vintage aged cheese, and find this has the most fragrant taste, not the same but similar to parmesan. This is also very creamy and close to cheddar. However I personally think it is a stronger version of cheddar.

Camembert is one of my top favourite cheeses. It has a distinctive aroma and texture, more rubbery and runny than other cheeses. Camembert is that creamy light yellow cheese with the white film over it (it can be eaten but doesn't taste very nice). It's really hard to describe; flavourful, but not overwhelming like cheddar or vintage. It is stronger than bocconcini, but tastes nothing like it. It is my favourite French cheese.

I have only tried blue cheese twice and have a vague memory of that experiences. My first time was during Year 8 French with Soljic. I remember a tangy bittersweetness, not wholly unpleasant but not fantastic either. Blue cheese (also known as mouldy cheese) is best eaten with an open mind.

Yesterday I bought a Danish cheese called havarti. Similar in texture to the insides of camembert, but is sweeter and quite creamy. Maybe it's because it's new, but so far I love it. And the cat loves it. She's gonna get fat from all the cheese I'm giving her. It is made in Denmark!


The first and only conclusion derived from chocolate hunting is this:

Belgium chocolates suck.

No matter what people say, "Belgium chocolates are the finest", it's Swiss chocolates all the way baby.

Midori and I discussed this last night and she understand what I mean when I say chocolates like Guylian and even Godiva (which came to be around $50 or $255HK per box) had a gritty texture and taste. Godiva was of higher quality than Guylian, but it was not to my liking. I have reason to believe the Belgium method of de-husking the cacao beans failed to remove the inner membrane thing, which is causing the gritty-ness. Maybe it's just me. Or maybe it is the bitterness and strength of the cacao that is causing the grit.

Swiss chocolates like Lindt and Toblerone are sweeter than their Belgium counterparts, however infinitely smoother and creamier (if you hadn't noticed, I'm a fan of creamy things). They have less of the bitter chocolate/cocoa taste, but Lindt...oh Lindt, my one and only chocolate lover!

There's also Cadbury, but I find it too sweet and overbearing. Lindt is a slightly 'lighter' option.

Seriously if you consider the prices go for Lindt, it's not that much more than regular candy bars and Godiva is just such a rip off.

Stay tuned, for in the next couple of years Serena will improve upon her findings and advice for cheese and chocolate lovers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm cheese.
Poison to my system right there. :)
But Lindt's dark chocolate, oh god. Beats any other chocolate out there. And my dad loves Toblerone whilst my mother likes Guylian.

Serena said...

YES, Lindt's dark! It is the BEST dark chocolate, evers. It beats Godiva in cocoa taste.

Toblerone has yummy nougat in it.

Anonymous said...

Godiva is overrated. period.

ButterflyCoffin said...

I hate it when my Feta cheese is cut in large pieces.

I like spreading Laughing Cow on biscuits >w<

Blue cheese is a bit strong to have alone...

Swiss makes the best chocolates and watches >3

Serena said...

I like my feta in small pieces too!

I only had the blue cheese by itself to taste the flavour =/ I don't know what it goes with.

Porkie loves Laughing Cow, but I don't because it's sooo creammy and sickeningly so o_o

Anonymous said...

OMG. YAY to people who understand feta in small pieces!
And laughing cow cheese is good with plain crackers (L)!!! Even though it is super creamy.

Midori said...

I am noob at cheeses...

But i did miss it while in China.

I like mozzarella on pizza!!!

Btw i hate toberlone. Yuck.

ferrero Rocher came out with a dark chocolate variety that i am yet to try....