What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Food and Tourism in Sydney

When Mr. N was here, we spent most of our time doing touristy things but also eating all kinds of food and killing his tastebuds. This will be an extensive review on all the restaurants and cafes that we went to, at least, whatever I remember of it. It has been a month ago!

Oh did I say extensive? I meant, LONG TO READ.

Day 1 consisted of wandering around Royal Botanical Gardens while we wait for our room to be ready and cleaned. This took ages, plus N's luggage got lost in transit and was currently sitting on the other side of the world in either Los Angeles or San Francisco *fail*

We were both not hungry until dinner in which I thought it would be a good idea to play it safe and go to Pepper Lunch. Boy, did I underestimate his deprivation. He wasn't too fond of Pepper Lunch even though he said it was "okay", I take that as a not okay T_T

He prefers Indian curries. I have to agree with him, although Thai ones are pretty good too.

For some reason I didn't take a photo of breakfast but oh well. It might have been at Pancakes on the Rocks. Personally, I am not fond of POTR. I never finish my pancakes because it's just so overwhelming, even the smallest plate. That morning I had a savoury breakfast pancake meal and I must say, I don't like my eggs benedict. I thought I did - poached egg smothered in Hollandaise sauce and bacon served with a hashbrown and pancake, yum! - but I tried it and it was just horrid. Maybe they just make a bad eggs benedict, but I am not going there again unless it's for pizza or sharing a sweet pancake. They make nice crispy pizzas just the way I like them.

So the first photo of food I have (other than Pepper Lunch, which is boring you all have been there) was at the Chinese Garden of Friendship at Darling Harbour. The little teahouse they have there is called The Teahouse.


Scones with whipped cream and jam, jasmine tea pot (at the back) and...and...oh dear, I forgot what tea I had. Pu-er! A "black tea with an earthy flavour". Either way, it was a good way to introduce hot, Asian teas to the boy (who only ever drinks iced tea unsweetened) which he liked! I are happeh! He got used to it by the end of the trip :)

The scones were still quite warm but it was a freezing cold day so they got cold fast. However I managed to load on the cream and jam and savour the fluffiness of the scone. Mmmm, seriously is heavenly and oh so good! I must search for a cafe that sells cheap but perfectly fluffy and hot scones with plenty of jam and cream!

A little birdy flew by our table and started pecking at the crumbs so N threw our leftover scones and it came closer and closer! It was sweet.




He also threw some into the pond and a ton of koi were jumping over each other and going crazy for them. Then a really territorial duck came and stole all the crumbs and when another duck came it chased it away! What a story!

All true by the way.



Look at the sh*tload of koi.

Then look at the sh*tload of clothes the boy brought over. WTF! He has more tops than I do WTFWTF!




Presents! I got a box of Twinkies ohoho and Porkie got Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories which is not available in Australia and I had to ask for a big favour for N to get it. Don't ask why Porkie got a better present than me, life is unfair sometimes.




So the next day I felt pretty sick and needed some Asian comfort food so it was off to the nearest Chinese restaurant for congee! N took one look at the century egg and went no effing way not eating that T_T I kept jeering him over it, how it tastes soooo good despite how it looks and he was a chicken for not trying it. He didn't even give it a chance! Judging based on looks!



Then a couple of nights later Poh used century egg on Masterchef and said "I can't believe my ancestors ate this stuff" and N looked at me pointedly T_T

Life hates me grr.

Yes I did go to the Sydney Aquarium to see the dugong!




For dinner that night, right before Masterchef came on we went to Hurricane's Grill since the last time I went for Minglez' birthday it was quite good.


Scallops in peri-peri sauce and cauliflower puree, the same as last time and oh, just as good as I remembered! N, who avidly avoids all things seafood promised to try things and he ate it. As for liking, well, I think he was surprised but it's still tastebud overload. Poor thing. There was also herb bread (which is very good, hot and crispy), a lavender martini and beer. N wanted to try some Australian beers.



My fullrack half-and-half pork and lamb ribs. I wasn't sure which I wanted so N ordered for me and got the full rack! So much meat...I ended up taking it home with me.

Next day we walked down to Delafrance on George St for breakfast. Or brunch I should say.


Custom made roll and a hot chocolate (wuss) for Mr. N and a spinach and ricotta pastry with a chai latte for moi.




This chai latte is freaking awesome!!! A tad on the sweet side, but very frothy and creamy made at just the right drinking temperature too. A good amount of cinnamon on top to give it a lovely nutty kick.

Stop by at Delafrance for a chai latte, if you can stand the queues :)

The only thing I can complain about is the space. Very cramped little cafe and it's right on George so it's loud and crowded - not such great atmosphere. But do come for the food and drinks.

Oh random foods we had in our room. N loves his Mexican and was determined to make some 'authentic' guacamole the way he has it at home. He really wanted tortilla chips but we couldn't find any and had to settle for taco shells and Doritos.




Drinks and lots of them. And TimTams!




We were down at The Rocks Markets and brought these chocolate covered strawberries back, as well as cookies and cream icecream and macarons aka Delice from Lindt Cafe.


Dark, milk and white chocolate covered strawberries, icecream, vanilla and coconut macarons.

A little pricey for the strawberries but they are an indulgence! As for the icecream, extremely expensive and you can't really go wrong with cookies and cream. Lindt one had huge chunks of cookies embedded in it, yummers.

Will continue this next time, phew! One week down!

4 comments:

Anna said...

you guys have expensive tastes QQ

Midori said...

Dugongs!!!

LyChee said...

I shall be amazed by the amount of clothing he had, rather than all the food o.O;

Serena said...

Not that expensive, plus he was indulging me DDDx

Yes dugongs.

And yes, his packing shocks me.