What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Seoul, South Korea

A continuation...

Arrived in Incheon at about 7pm and found out our tour group only had 5 people! My parents and I, and a girl with her mother. I wished it was a slightly bigger group because I thought it was a bit awkward, but it has some advantages like faster toilet breaks and more shopping hours!

Photobucket

A double and a single bed this time, not that I'm complaining. The king size bed was so nice but too squishy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Several boxes of Godiva chocolates from HK airport and wife cake (YUM). I love wife cake.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Early in the morning we drove an hour out of Seoul to go to EVERLAND!

One of the many many bridges over the Han River.

Photobucket


The decorations were so pretty. They were having the Snow Festival, oh and it was bloody freezing at 0C.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


We walked around for a bit before the tour guide Tommy took us on the Safari to see Ligers. YEAH LIGERS!

Normal tigers and lions.

Photobucket

Photobucket


THE LIGER!

Photobucket

Photobucket


I know it's just animals, and you're looking at them through glass and stuff, but...

Photobucket

ISN'T HE SO CUTE?!??

Photobucket

HE'S ADORABLE ISN'T HE?!?!

Photobucket

Photobucket


I went on a few sissy rides because nobody would go on the massive rollercoasters with me and I didn't want to go alone while everyone waits. We went to the circus though and they did some mediocre tricks (I've been to too many good circuses to be impressed anymore). It was pretty entertaining at least, but it would be so much better if I had friends coming and not my daggy parents.

The night views are so bright and colourful during Christmas. The trees were so intricately decorated with lights!

Photobucket


We went back to the resort with some gigantic Korean apples, sweet and crisp and COLD.

Photobucket


The next morning we went to:

Photobucket


AND I MADE KIMCHI!

Photobucket

Photobucket


Afterwards we dressed up in hanboks and took photos but I was given this absolutely hideous abomination so I'm not showing them to you T_T

Photobucket


Then it was some touristy sightseeing at the parliament house thing, and saw some fighter planes and bombers used in the Korean war.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Then we went to Namsangol Hanok Village to look at heritage sites of the reconstructed palaces.

The lake there was frozen so I took a picture! It was pretty cool and scary :)

Photobucket


Then right after me and the other girl Stephanie were taking pictures on the ice and playing around, all these kids began running on it and jumping and stamping their feet on the ice and I'm like shit, I'm a bad influence. One kid actually did drop into the water and was hauled out laughing and soaking wet in sub-zero temperatures.

Serves you right T_T

That right here they were cooking a popular Korean drink; burnt rice water.

CAN I SAY EW, EW AND EW. It is seriously the water taken from boiling the burnt rice from dinner, and them drinking that runoff! It was the worst taste ever. It was cold and I needed a hot drink, but no thanks.

Photobucket

Photobucket


These pots actually had real food inside, like fermented soy sauce. I saw mould in it...apparently you just wipe off the mould and the wine/soysauce/condiments underneath is the best o_o

Photobucket


This was my first big shopping experience. We went to the most trendy and popular place to shop, Myeongdong.

Photobucket


This was some sort of sparkling rose drink. I actually wanted the forget-me-not one, but they didn't really understand English. Check out that colour!

Photobucket

Photobucket


The Myeongdong shopping mall thing at night, with all the pretyt lights.

Photobucket


For dinner Tommy took us to a popular ginseng chicken place that was 5 storeys! It was really really popular and packed. We were supposed to have the ordinary ginseng with chicken broth, but everyone decided to pay an extra 20,000 won for the Samsung ginseng, black chicken broth. That's almost $20 extra!

Every meal came with a plate of kimchi.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


It was one of the best meals.

The enxt morning we went to Gyeongbokgung Palace, which was the main palace during imperial Korea. Many of the palaces were destroyed by the Japs, so a lot are reconstructed, therefore not as fancy or expensive as it would've been. The original wood structures were made of very high quality, lacquered wood.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


You can't tell from the photo, but this pagoda-like building on the lake is...truly...enormous...

Photobucket

Photobucket


Taking a picture with my Chinese zodiac animal, the wily snake.

Photobucket


It was too cold so we quickly went into the cafe and ordered coffee. Unlike coffee in China, people in Korea KNOW HOW TO DRINK COFFEE. The coffee beans in China tasted so shit it was like drinking bitter milk T_T

Photobucket

Photobucket


We really didn't want to go back outside. The sun was out, it was warmer. This pic makes me looks glowy.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Parents, Stephanie, Stephanie's mum and Tommy.


The palace had gate guards, not unlike the ones in England where you can shake your ass and they won't even flinch.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Then went to visit a highly restricted government area. It was very beautiful, picturesque and peaceful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Oh yeah, I wore my new black plush jacket I got from Myeongdong, on sale so it was only $35!! We also bought $4000 worth of Korean ginseng...

Photobucket


By then we were all pretty damn hungry so we had a different kind of Korean hotpot. This was the best meal out of all of them, but I couldn't enjoy it as I was still recovering from food poisoning. It was cabbage (and can I just say Korean cabbage is the crunchiest, juiciest, sweetest cabbage I have ever eaten!) with pork marinated in the most delectable red sauce that wasn't spicy but sweet. Oh, it was sooo good.

Photobucket


By afternoon we reached another shopping district, Dongdaemun (Great East Gate) where all the high class stuff was. There was a Louis Vuitton and Hermes boutique on practically every block!! It is also popular for their street vendors and market (similar to Mouse Road/Ladies' Market in Hong Kong but way bigger) but it was so cold and I was getting cramps I never got to shop -_- Instead we hung out in the heated Shinsegae mall and I went through all the floors browsing at LV, Chloe, Marc Jacobs, Balenciaga (THEY ALSO DIDN'T HAVE THE BAG I WANTED!! Plus it was $2000+ and father cheaped out on me), Bottega Venetta, Valentino, Prada, you name the brand and it's here.

I was glad to get into the car. Damn stomach ache. We went to the N Seoul Tower next.

Photobucket


I believe this was the place where they made that episode in Goong where the girl goes with the grandmother to the teddy bear museum, because I saw a teddy bear museum but didn't go in!

Photobucket


Up, up and away...

Photobucket

Photobucket


This is the direction I should travel if I were to go home :(

Photobucket


This was the last night for the girls since they were leaving for Taiwan in the morning, while we were leaving for Hong Kong-Sydney in the arvo. With all that extra time, Tommy decided to take us to experience more of Seoul by taking us to see the "daily changing of the palace guards" ceremony! It was a long procession.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Look at the guy's skirts swoosh!

Some more last minute shopping in a small, touristy street. These piping hot cakes filled with red bean paste were so adorable and so toasty I just had to have one T_T

Photobucket


The last thing we did on our way to Incheon was to go via the old route - taking the boat. We all filed into the car and drove into the ship, but not before getting a packet of prawn crisps to feed the seagulls!

Photobucket

Photobucket


It was really fun but my fingers felt like dropping off after. We were aiming to throw the crackers so the gulls could catch it in the air. Some were sharp as they swooped to my cleverly aimed throws.

And then it was airport time and we had to go.

Photobucket

Last minute buy, my lovely blue pashmina >W<

Xiaxue had the same picture I had at Incheon airport, BUT I TOOK IT FIRST SINCE I WENT FIRST. Showing you the menu of the multilevel beef burgers they have.

Photobucket

Photobucket


I love Sydney more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As i was browsing through, i only had one thing in mind... "OMG TVXQ'S HOMELAND!!!! I wonder if yunho was there...etc etc ^^U"

Serena said...

I KNOW! I kept thinking omg I'm so close to DBSK!! But I didn't see much of them around, no ads, posters, nothing.

Midori said...

Omg your accommodation is so awesome.. my accommodation was so dodgy...

We didn't even have a kettle!!!

And your liger picture is not very clear... i don't see the head!!!

Shit that apple is half the size of your head...

Omg i wanna see the hanbok pictures... it's fushia!

Lol the wiping off mould thing is totally something my mum does XD

omg black chicken is my favourite!! Did you have that chicken stuffed with chestnuts and sticky rice?

Is coffee expensive in Korea? Cuz coffee in china is like $20- $80 RMB.

And didn't your parents ever take photos for you.... you have all self shots! i wanna see what your wearing to justify me wearing so much in Beijing... >.>

You guys had a lot of shopping while we had mostly tourists attraction cuz Beijing has too many famous locations -.-

You guys did more stuff while I saw more stuff -.-

Serena said...

Accommodation was alright, but the bathroom was pretty small. It was quite clean and the floors were heated!!

I have no good liger pics :( BUT THE BEARS ARE SO CUTE.

Black chicken was stuffed with normal rice and ginseng. Coffee was average, roughly the same as in Aust and it tasted pretty good too.

Not much to do in Korea but shop :D

Anonymous said...

the boys are in Japan. Their promotion for their 4th album ended last year, sold 500,000 copies of their album while on average, korean singers get to sell about 100,000. =DDD
Should've been able to see their faces on lotte duty free shop