What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Life in Motion

For those of you who don't know yet or haven't spoken to me in awhile, I recently started to polish off my CV because next semester I am doing an internship course that requires me to find my own host organisation to work at.

I emailed the coordinators to get all the info, chatted to uni friends and basically mused about it for awhile until I got the green light. I then sent my resume off as soon as I was allowed to and hoped for the best.

There were many confusing things about the internship program, mostly because it wasn't very clear. A friend of mine who already had done 2 internships agreed that at first she was very confused.

But I finally got that sorted (with a lot of help) and did some research on agencies in Sydney. Mostly I was trolling job websites like seek.com and careerone.com. I also checked out my uni's job site but that was mostly pointless and didn't have what I wanted. In the end I decided to approach these companies myself to see if they have any space for me.

So last Wednesday I spent all afternoon typing up a convincing cover letter/email and sent my resume to one of the best, award winning advertising media agencies in Australia. Too late! Already clicked send! I just had to hope that all my research and stalking paid off. The name of this agency had popped up a fair amount of times in my lectures, just in the background.

The following morning for that lecture we watched a video for an award ceremony in France where a few representatives from the best ad agencies attended. Lo and behold, one of the gold winners were from Australia, from the very company I applied for!

A part of me thought that I would be rejected, or that it would be awhile before they contacted me to tell me that I was rejected. I was resigned to that possibility already, but hey it doesn't hurt to try right? After all, I put Fort Street as my first or second choice for selective believing that I most likely wouldn't get in and I almost did.

After the lecture while doing homework in the library I got a call; they wanted to meet me for a position in their subsidiary, newly launched just last year. Wow, I was stoked. I was so excited I was jumping up and down in the library ignoring stares people were giving me. Granted, it was the exact job I wanted but it's within the same company! A GOOD company, an AWARD WINNING company.

Had my interview on Friday and they wanted me to start as soon as possible. It is going to be a long internship, but I already feel successful and I keep dreaming about what my life is going to be like now.

I feel like my life is moving forward instead of falling stagnant.

I also feel terrified; my marks for advertising haven't been extremely good. It's like Advanced English, as much as I love it I was never really good at it. It's strange for me. I'm scared because the ad subject I'm doing this semester isn't going so well, mark-wise. I'm really pissed that my group is dodgy because I thought the hot guy who works at a well-known agency was good at his job, but apparently he's not the most brilliant. Oh he works hard alright, there's just no point to all that research he's done in relation to the brief.

Perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps I shouldn't do advertising and should do PR instead (got 2 distinctions in it). Perhaps it's a sign that for all my core advertising subjects I'm stuck with mediocre people; first year, my partner left the class so the major assignment was done alone, second year my whole group wasn't advertising majors and didn't understand some things I was talking about and now third year, ARGH WHY DIDN'T HE LISTEN TO ME AND USE MY POINTS FOR THE WORK.

On another note, I recently finished reading Animal Farm that Midori lent to me.

This is the exact same copy she had.


Lets just say that I should've read this ages ago. It is good. I've started on 1984 but only a few pages, not as interesting as Animal Farm.

1 comment:

Midori said...

$15.60 wtf?? Borders is a bloody rip off I bought my book for heaps more than that!!