What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Friday, September 25, 2009

Lets Talk Skincare (Face)

Hey all.

Today I'm going to talk a bit about the various products I've used on body and face, but just sticking to skincare at the moment because my makeup list is far more extensive.

First and foremost should always be a cleanser, however I don't use cleanser. I should have said so before but I'll say it again: I only use water and a face cloth. I've tried a few cleansers that have ruined my skin so now I'm...'scuse me, I just killed a spider.

ANYWAY.

The cat loves cotton balls tied with string.

BUT I'M DIGRESSING AGAIN.


FOR THE FACE


Ever since I got Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera 100% Gel (from Priceline, it's expensive at $8 a pop, imported from America) I've been using it as a base with everything.

The first thing I do after showering I put this on. This goes even before moisturiser. It's just aloe vera gel, but FOTE has been talked about on many beauty blogs I follow and when I happened across it I bought it.

It is fragrance free and alcohol free, perfect! It smells like nothing at all.

And everyone knows that aloe vera is good for the skin, I can also accidentally eat it and I won't be worried at all.



Decision: Will look for a CHEAPER alternative, but if I can't find one I WILL come back and use this forever!


This year I've used Olay Moisturising Cream Sensitive (mentioned in a previous post). I finished this a few weeks ago.

Because I used the sensitive skin version it was fragrance free which I like because it doesn't sting when I use it over broken skin which is very common since I have mild eczema and dry skin.

It is a normal face cream with no marketing hype or unnecessary, alluring products in it. It does a good job, but I am forever searching for something better.

Decision: My verdict is that it is a very simple, basic moisturiser which is all you really need. It does what it's supposed to do; keep your face smooth and soft. WIll come back to use this if there is nothing else.


I interchageably use Olay Complete Defence Daily UV Moisturising Lotion with SPF 30+. This one is not for sensitive skin and I bought it mainly for the SPF.

I don't like how the sunscreen smell and oily texture is still discernible, despite being mild. I really don't like the feel and smell of sunscreen, but EVERYONE SHOULD BE USING IT ON A DAILY BASIS. Serz.




It's not as bad, really.

I quite like this product and the packaging. It's a pump, much better than the huge jar I had with the one above. I actually really like the pump design and I think it's very cute.

It is light and easily absorbed (sans smell, if you don't mind sunscreen smell) and there is a chance of this becoming a staple because so few moisturisers have such a high SPF.

Decision: Yes, will buy again unless the product beneath beats it.


Today I bought Biore Daily Recharging Nourish Moisture Lotion SPF 15which is the same one Butterfly uses! Currently $5 off at Woolies! That's 30% off!!




The Biore claims to have vitamin A, C and E and many herbal extracts like wild yellow poppy, rose hip, chamomile (good for easily inflammed skin) and aloe (soothing). I like how glycerin is the second ingredient although propylene glycol, another moisture-soaking ingredient is at the bottom.

I have yet to use it, but it looks promising! I will be back with more when I finish the bottle.


I know I am focusing on the face products for now but I really need to put this out there, and besides I can still use sunscreen on my face/neck too right?

The two sunscreens I am using is The Cancer Council Australia Ultra Sunscreen (SPF 30+, UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum, 3 Hours Water Resistant) and Auscreen SPF 30+ Non Greasy Lotion (UVA/UVB BS, 3 Hrs WR).

Of the two, I MUCH PREFER the Auscreen because it is lighter, watery and hence easier to spread on your body, smells pretty pleasant - for a sunscreen - and cheap! Note that I've heard some sunscreens that claim to be UVA/UVB BS are actually not, and I don't know if Auscreen is one of them or not.


Second one.


Last one.


Cancer Council one is definitely certified, but I don't like it because it is thick and reminds me of primary school swim school lessons (ah, nostalgia...). It costs quite a bit more as it is also in a smaller size. If they made this sunscreen smoother, I would be all over it. Porkie bought this and I stole it!

Comparing ingredients:

  1. CC contains zinc oxide while Auscreen doesn't!

  2. CC contains Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile/MG, which is a preservative that may cause skin irritation. It should be low enough to not have any effect, but you never know with extremely sensitive skin. Reference from here.

  3. They both claim to comply with the Australian standard AS/NZS 2604:1998.


Decision: If Auscreen proves to work, I will be using it from now on.

Currently I am using both, although mixing CC with Auscreen could be good too just for the extra zinc oxide. I could most likely just buy zinc oxide lotion and mix it with the Auscreen though I don't know if it will cause any bad chemical reactions.


I've used a fair bit of eye creams in the past and all of them have given me bright red rashes all around my eyes. Except one.

Meet Biore Daily Recharging Rejuvenate Cooling Eye Gel (from Big W).




This is also a recent buy but I have used it for several days now and I am not reacting to it, which is always a good sign.

Like most eye cream/gels it contains cucumber extracts, but this also has sugar beet and golden root. Frankly I don't know the benefits of the latter ingredients and I would much prefer vit A or something.

I like it. It has tiny green glitter in it that might do some brightening, although temporary. It came with free samples of other Biore products, a facial scrub and a headband so it's love.


Decision: I do not know if my dark circles or fine wrinkles will disappear and I greatly doubt it, but as I am not reacting badly I will use it until finished and will not re-purchase.


Neutrogena Rapid Clear Spot Gel is my go-to for busting those rare pimples that form on my face. I loathe pimples and I always pop them as soon as I see them, so I need to use this more often.

Use it before you sleep and it'll have worked when you wake up.

It is very strong. It does shrivel most, not all, pimples and sometimes it can cause the skin to flake and dry up as well so be sure to moisturise the morning after.

It may look tiny and expensive for such little product but it will last you. You only need a miniscule bit each pimple.




Decision: Although it works, I just have no need for such a product and it's better off being used by my brother.


I wanted to use a good face mask so mother gave me her Neutrogena Fine Fairness Complete Whitening Mask that she bought from Hong Kong awhile back (you can also buy it from sasa.com).

It comes with a mask and essence/serum.




I like the way it makes my face feel plump and full of moisture after use and the only downfall I can see is tat it's only available in Asia.

I suppose I can complain that the mask doesn't fit my face right and it feels weird, and that there is WAY too much essence, more than necessary, even if you reuse the mask.


Decision: Will definitely buy again, but hoping for an Australian alternative. I do like the whole whitening thing though.

The next mask I will try is the famed Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque which is only available in the US! Just for fun, since I don't have acne. I'm bringing some back for Porkie.


Mother also gave me Swissplus Anti Wrinkle Gel Patch for my eyes. I'm down to the last pack of 4 and it doesn't really work, but then again I haven't used it properly.




This also leaves my skin feeling very supple and I absolutely love that cool, soft, plump feeling but it never lasts :(


Decision: Stick to the Biore for now.


A few months ago I bought Lush Face Mask The Sacred Truth (from Lush store at QVB) and this little pot lasted me so long that it went overdue before I even got halfway through! I had to stop using it on my face though because it started giving it a strange texture that I wasn't fond of. I used the rest on my body and my leg-ne (leg acne wtf).




Yes, it has very attractive ingredients and is "all natural". I don't believe that raw ingredients are always the best. I have faith in science and technology and know that synthetic materials can be just as good, if not better than natural.

I still didn't like it and struggle to use up the $16 pot.


Decision: Never buy it again.

This covers the products I am/will be using this year. I've used a lot of other products on my face like cocoa butter, shea butter and sorbolene but none long term. I really should just stick to something that works, then change when it stops working.

8 comments:

Midori said...

omfg you use so many products!!

I try to finish all of mine before i buy new one.

I don't like Lush. The soap i boguht that time. still havent finished. it's just slowly degrading from shower water getting on it. It dries out my skin and makes me feel literally SQUEEKY clean.

For face i am just trying to finish using the products i use right now which are mainly Mary Kay, Loreal and Clinque.

That reminds me Loreal has this super nice exfoliating thing in like a green/aqua tub i bought a long time ago. Best body exfoliating scrub thing ever. Dunno if it's still available =\

Oh which reminds me i need new: mascara and eyeliner.

Serena said...

I KNOW, I can't help it. I try to finish my products, I DID finish Olay before I got the Biore, but now I need a night moisturiser hmm...

I like St. Ives for my face, which is actually kinda harsh. I have Biore samples for a facial cleanser though so will use that.

I just bought new mascara, Bourjois Yes to Volume, No to Clumps. I've always wanted to try it but found it expensive, it's on sale at Priceline now xD

OMG I should do a comparison of all the mascaras I've used xDDD

anna said...

Mascara? Imju Fiberwig's the best (Y)

Serena said...

Nuh uh! Everyone knows Maybelline Full 'N Soft is the best!

Allvira said...

How do you manage all these products on your face? I mean to say that how much the time interval between the products? I am scared after seeing much number of beauty products in your life. I only use an aloe vera gel from Oriflame, nothing at all others. Only one time one only.
Its totally up to you.. But I am eager to know about the working?
Allvira,
---------------
bentley watch

Serena said...

I don't use all the products at the same time. Some of these products are over a year old, actually, like the sunscreen and spot treatment.

Many of the products mentioned are only used interchangeably. For example, face masks and exfoliators you are only supposed to use once a week.

So that leaves me with 4 products that I use on a DAILY basis: night cream (night only), aloe vera, day cream with SPF (day only) and eye cream (night only). Sunscreen should be applied to the face AND body; you will go through it fast if you use it daily and you are supposed to to prevent skin cancer.

In actually fact, it seems like it's a lot of products but it is really not. These are the bare minimum.

Serena said...

Oops, I realised I didn't answer your question Allvira!

By time interval do you mean how long I wait before applying each product? I wait for the first (aloe vera) to dry before applying moisturising creams. Wait for it to soak.

These products are also tested on my skin only. While using just one basic and cheap moisturiser day in and out works for some, it does not work for me because I have extremely dry skin with mild eczema and some sensitivity. Nivea (a great moisturiser) stings my skin sometimes, go figure.

I can't use only aloe vera because it is not moisturising enough. I also decided not to use only cream because I found that aloe vera made my cream work BETTER.

I like to experiment and am constantly searching to improve :)

Anonymous said...

[color=#00c9ff][u]Awesome site! I haven't bumped on grongbit.blogspot.com before in my searches!I found very useful information about
[/u][/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]cosmetics[/url] [color=#00c9ff][u]here... Keep up the good work![/u][/color]