What the hell is a flying green song-rabbit?!

Grongbit (GReen sONG rabBIT) is the result of our nicknames combined. "Our" meaning the three founding authors. The flying comes from our guest-turned-permanent blogger, Butterfly Coffin.

And yes, rabbits can too fly, sing and be green.

Feel free to leave a comment!

Friday, March 6, 2009

Basic Skincare Review

So today I bought a jar of Olay Moisturizing Cream, Sensitive Skin and I'm going to document my findings on the blog as part of my regime to find and try products and review them. This is the thicker cream, not the lotion most people are thinking. The sensitive version isn't pink either, and it's fragrance free which made me sad because I love the smell and pink colour!




On this date, my skin is currently:

  • clear and normal
  • fair
  • smooth
  • slight dryness on the nose, eye area and upper lip
  • very slight dryness on the insides of cheeks
  • crow's feet developing
  • wrinkles underneath eyes
  • very dark undereye circles
  • developing an allergic reaction to something that is making my lips swell up, but this is only temporary and antihistamines will take care of it



I shall see the effects of the Olay and if it helps with moisturising those dry parts, and gets extra brownie points if it can make my wrinkles disappear.

The first thing I am discussing is my skincare regime.

I do not cleanse nor do I need to unless I am wearing full makeup that day and my face feels 'clogged', in which I will use a bit of The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin. Don't ask me why I have so many sensitive skin stuff, I franky have no idea if I am or not ut don't feel like takig a financial risk. I'll try the original Olay lotion some other time.




The toner does jack, but I like to believe it makes the greasy feeling of the cleanser go away by getting rid of excess. Still, instead of paying $20 for the toner I can just keep rinsing my face until it's gone.




My face is pretty low maintenance. I just wash it with a wash cloth or sponge in the morning with cold water, even in Winter. I follow up with a tiny blob of Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula or some generic sorbolene lotion (depends on what I'm feeling that day). Palmer's feels thicker, so I use it on dryer days. Seriously speaking though, I think sorbolene works better and you get more bang for your buck.

When I am being good and use sunscreen on my face, I will put on Olay Complete Defense UV Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30+ but I don't do this very often. I know, it's bad, but I just don't like the feeling sunscreen leaves on my hands. Sorbolene and cocoa butter seems more edible because I put moisturiser on before breakfast.


The new packaging for it is prettier.


For my lips, I use Vaseline at home and whe I'm out I use the quintessential Sydneysider lipbalm: Lucas' Papaw Ointment. Out of the two, I like Lucas' better because it's not as 'slimy' and I prefer the texture of it on my lips. It also smells lovely, and I would rather 'accidentally' eat this than Vaseline. This is why I use Vaseline at night where eating lipbalm isn't a problem. It is the best lipbalm/all-rounder that works just as well as Vaseline.




Next thing I also use, and I would recommend this as well, is generic sweet almond oil that you can pick up from a pharmacy. It'll be around $10 for a small 25ml bottle or so, but it's a really good moisturiser. I used to put this in my homemade moisturiser, but now I just use it to condition the area around my eyes. It's oily so there is less friction when you apply it, which is great for that delicate area there.

I can't say it's doing much for my dark circles or wrinkles though, but it feels so nice. I might repurchase it again when I'm out, but this bottle is going to last me quite a while. If you're tight on money, you can forget this step. I am still looking for a good eye cream, if somebody would like to suggest one? I am thinking of getting La Mer The Eye Concentrate or YSL Temps Majeur Eye Cream despite it being $200+ =s!!


Yes or no?


Hopefully I will find some Holy Grail (HG) products that will forever be my signature. The only HG I have right now is the papaw ointment.

I'm also looking at a few mascaras and I currently love Covergirl VolumeExact or LashExact because it gives SO MUCH LENGTH OMG. My lashes are sooooo incredibly long but there just isn't enough volume there. On the other hand, I tried out Maybelline Full N' Soft, which is famous for giving soft, nourished lashes. Lengthening wise it's not as great as CG but it gives slightly more volume. I will try them both out one after another and see if they produce better results.

Another thing I will mention is my blush, Clinique Blushing Blush in Precious Posy. I heard it was a good dupe of the much-loved Nars Orgasm blush. It is a fabulous colour that you can build up to be a pretty deep, flirty pink blush or swipe a few times (be careful with the brush it comes with because it puts heaps of product on your cheeks) and it looks perfect. Sometime I do have problems with the gold glitter, so I'll probably need to look for a matte finish blush for those days.




Until next time, ladies and gents.

1 comment:

Midori said...

don't buy the $200+ cream so expensive!